The following is an online copy of the Charter of the Barony of North Woods. In case of conflict with printed versions of material printed on this page or its links, the dispute will be decided in favor of the printed version unless otherwise indicated.
Contents: (click on heading to jump to section)
1. The term of office for Baron and Baroness and other officers shall be three (3) years, counted from the date of their Investiture or (in the case of the officers) the date of their assumption of their duties.
2. The Barony shall place no limit on the number of terms a person may serve in these positions.
3. All terms of office are subject to warranting by the appropriate authorities.
1. A standing committee, referred to hereafter as "the Baronial Council," shall be formed for the purpose of fostering greater Baronial unity, coordinating events, and assisting the Baron, Baroness, and the Baronial officers in general.
2. This Council shall be comprised of three delegates from each member group.
a. The method by which each member group shall choose its delegates shall be registered with the Baronial Seneschal.
b. Each group's Seneschal shall inform the Baronial Seneschal of the identity of their Council delegates at least one week in advance of any Council meeting.
c. If such notice is not given, said delegates cannot be seated.
3. The Council shall meet no less than twice yearly or when called into special session by the Baron, Baroness, or Baronial Seneschal.
4. The office of Baronial Delegate to the Council will be treated inlike manner as the other Baronial officers regarding term of office, removal, and nomination, save that only the members of the local group would be allowed to vote.
1. The Baronial Election Commission shall consist of the Baronial Seneschal (or a duly appointed deputy thereof), a member of the Baronial Council chosen by lot, and a Baronial Officer chosen by lot.
a. None of these officers may be the subject or the author of a recall under consideration. If such is the case, then a replacement shall be chosen by lot according to the conditions above (Article 3, Section 1).
2. The drawing of these lots shall be made at a regular public meeting in full view of the populace.
3. The Baronial Election Commission shall make their decision no less than two (2) weeks and not more than four (4) weeks after submission of the petition
1. The process of recommending officers to the Kingdom ("selection process") and of identifying candidates for Baron/ess will be overseen by the Baronial Seneschal.
2. The Baronial Seneschal may appoint deputies to assist in the fulfillment of these duties, subject to the approval of the Baronial Council.
3. These duties include:
a. Oversight of any and all selections of Baronial offices (but not the Baron/ess, see below); and
b. Ensuring that these selections are fair, free, and open, with the ballots counted publicly and at a place accessible to the populace and candidates with the results being made public; and
c. Oversight of the selection and identification of delegates to the Baronial Council.
4. Neither the Baronial Seneschal nor said deputies may supervise a selection or recall for which they are involved.
5. The Seneschal shall coordinate and receive applications for Baron and Baroness. However, upon completion of the initial process to identify candidates, the Baronial Seneschal will forward all information to the Kingdom Deputy for Group Transitions, which person shall manage and coordinate any and all polling of the Barony for a Baron/ess.
1. Fourteen (14) weeks before the completion of an officer's term of office, the Seneschal shall notify the populace of this fact and announce the beginning of the nomination and selection process.
a. Nominees shall have their names forwarded to the Baronial Seneschal,
b. Candidates will have four (4) weeks to declare their candidacy and notify the Seneschal that they will stand as a candidate.
2. Four (4) weeks after nominations are closed, the Seneschal shall distribute ballots to the populace of the Barony
a. Electors must reside within the confines of the Barony, and
b. Be a member in good standing of the SCA Inc., and
c. Have registered with the Baronial Seneschal four (4) weeks before the poll (when the nomination process closes, so does voter registration).
3. The voting period shall last two (2) weeks from the date the first ballot is distributed.
4. On the same day the polls close, the Seneschal shall publicly count the ballots and certify the returns.
5. The candidate who receives the most votes will be identified as the preferred candidate for the position.
a. The Baronial Seneschal shall submit a written report of the polling returns to the Baron and Baroness and to the populace of the Barony.
b. The Seneschal shall forward this result to the relevant Kingdom and Regional officers.
6. Neither the Crown or the Kingdom Officers shall be bound in any way by the results of this or any other Baronial selection or poll. It is offered for their convenience only.
a. Pending a warrant from the relevant Kingdom officer, the identified preferred candidate may assume the duties of said office unless the candidate is not acceptable to the Crown or Kingdom officer.
1. In order to be eligible to hold a Baronial office or serve as Baron or Baroness, the following qualifications must be met:
a. The candidate must reside within the confines of the Barony. If the candidate subsequently leaves the Barony, s/he must immediately withdraw his candidacy.
b. The candidate must be enrolled with the Baronial Seneschal by a cutoff date, as identified by the Barony.
c. For the purpose of Baron/Baroness selection, residency requirements shall be determined by the appropriate authorities.
2. In order to run for office a candidate must:
a. Meet the above qualifications, and
b. Be a member in good standing of SCA Inc., and
c. Submit a signed statement to the Baronial Seneschal pledging to support and abide by this Charter. This statement must be witnessed by the Seneschal and two other Baronial Officers.
3. Candidates are also encouraged to publicly declare their candidacy.
1. Fourteen (14) weeks before the completion of the Baron's or Baroness' term of office, the Baronial Seneschal shall notify the populace of this fact and announce the beginning of the nomination process.
a. Nominees shall have their names forwarded to the Baronial Seneschal, and
b. Candidates will have four (4) weeks to declare their candidacy and notify the Baronial Seneschal that they will stand as a candidate.
2. Once the deadline for registering candidates or nominees has passed, the Baronial Seneschal will forward the names and contact information of candidates to the Kingdom Deputy for Group Transitions, which person shall manage and coordinate any and all polling of the Barony for a Baron/ess according to the laws and customs of the Middle Kingdom.
3. The Crown shall not be bound in any way by the results of this or any other Baronial selection or poll. It is offered for their convenience only.
1. The Baron or Baroness shall hold at least two courts per year. During each term, they must hold court in each member group at least once.
2. The Baron or Baroness shall attend at least one additional event in each member group at least once per term.
1. If the populace believes any officer or the Baron or Baroness is failing in his/her duty to the people of the Barony, they may vote to recall said person from his/her office or position.
a. In order for a petition to be considered, it must be received by the Baronial Seneschal in written form, signed and dated by the petitioners.
b. The Baronial Seneschal must receive a petition signed by a number of electors not less than 33% of the total number of ballots cast in the most recent Baronial Seneschal Election.
2. If the petition meets the initial criteria, the Baronial Seneschal will forward the petition to the Baronial Election Commission.
a. The Baronial Election Commission may reject or return for re-wording a recall petition if said petition is not sufficiently clear, concise, and addressed in a civil manner and tone.
b. If the petition language is acceptable, the Baronial Seneschal shall forward a copy of the petition to the person being recalled within 2 days.
3. Four (4) weeks after receiving this petition, the Baronial Seneschal shall poll the populace of the Barony. The question on the ballot shall be phrased "Shall [the person in question] retain their office as the [office or position] of North Woods?"
a. If a majority of the votes cast respond negatively, that person shall be asked to resign his/her office, as they have sworn to abide by this Charter. If the individual not resign in a timely fashion, the Baronial Council shall immediately forward a petition to the Crown for his/her removal.
b. If less than a majority vote for the removal of the person in question, s/he will retain their office and no further petitions for his/her removal may be submitted for at least six months.
4. Recall petitions cannot be submitted in either the first six months or the last six months of an officer's or the Baron or Baroness' term of office.
1. The Baronial Treasury shall be administered by the Baronial Exchequer
2. This Exchequer would be selected in the manner detailed for all other Baronial officers, save that the Exchequer may not be a close relative or spouse of the Baron, Baroness, any other Baronial Officer, nor reside in the same residence.
3. All disbursements made by the Exchequer shall first be approved by the Baronial Council, which may be summoned for this purpose by the Baron, Baroness, or Baronial Seneschal.
1. This Charter may be amended upon the receipt by the Baronial Seneschal of proposal signed by a number of electors not less than 33% of the total number of ballots cast in the most recent Baronial Seneschal election.
2. Upon receipt of a completed petition, the Baronial Seneschal shall immediately forward it to the appropriate Kingdom officials for the purposes of determining conflict with Kingdom or Society Law. Amendments may only be considered if they have the approval of the proper Kingdom officials.
3. Four (4) weeks after the amendment has been has been approved, the Baronial Seneschal shall hold a referendum on the amendment.
4. In order for the amendment to be added, it must gain a two-thirds majority of the votes cast.
5. If the amendment fails to garner the necessary majority, it may not be reconsidered for at least six months, except at the direction of the Crown or Kingdom Seneschal.